Friday, September 09, 2005

Socks!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I gotta tell you..... I was NEVER going to make socks. way - to - hard

Kaity was making socks, and they just baffled me.... I couldn't understand them, heel flaps, turned heels, and those gussets with the stitches going every which way - no sir, I just couldn't get my mind around it.

Then, one day was was watching Knitty Gritty on DIY, and the girl was teaching Sock 101. She explained it SO well, and I could watch her do it.... and I got it, it really didn't seem so hard after I SAW it done (yeah, as you can imagine.... I'm real good at math, too.... echhh, I gotta see it, touch it, to get it).
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So off I go - luckily, the Knitty Gritty girl starts you out more with slippers, BIG double-pointed needles and BIG yarn... so I made slippers, two pairs. The top picture is made with my left over Manos from hubby's Chullo hat. They're pretty funky, and I may even wear them as hiking socks - you know, they're wool and all.

The 2nd pair - I really wasn't up for those yet... size 2 DPN's, Wildfoote Yarn. Pattern: Mind of Winter, freebie on the web, BMG's Footies. Oy, I ripped those suckers out sooooo many times! Yarn's too little, the needles are too little - I have old eyes. They gave me fits! But they're done.... they're FULL of mistakes - but you can't see them from where you are, can you? We're talking a HUGE learning curve here. Gotta say, not a bit fan of the Wildfoote, not real comfy, splits way too much for me.... but they are pretty socks.

Socks are now my FAVORITE thing to knit - always have a pair going. They're relatively fast, and interesting enough that you don't get bored. LOVE to make socks! Now, that wasn't so hard...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home